I’m watching Pygmalion on TCM. I know, I need to update about more substantive things, and I will but first!
Pros to Pygmalion:
* Mmm, Leslie Howard….
* The scene deciding to take Eliza on is actually really quick and fun. I was going to complain the pace was a little slow, but that scene is WONDERFUL.
* The characters may be too underplayed sometimes (that and pacing it a common theme for 30s films), but it also makes some scenes less annoying.
*Despite appearing slow, without the music, it does move faster than it does in the musical version.
Pros to My Fair Lady:
* Obviously, cast and singing
* More energy and faster pace
* Take some pages from the 1938, which gave me a huge smile.
* 1938 had some really fun film styles, but George Cukor wins on that scale. Helps to have color.
* Actually more faithful to the original play than the 1938 version.
Okay, other points to Pygmalion?
DEAR GOD LESLIE HOWARD WAS HOT.
Cons: Freddy is truly a fop. I miss Jeremy Brett. But I miss Jeremy brett all the time so that’s fine.
Even later still:
Karparthy is less of a complete creep in MFL. Much more charming, if slimy.